I spend many hours of my time reading. Some of it is about real live historical events (I don’t enjoy fiction) but I also read a lot about business and my industry. Not just because I enjoy it but also to be aware of trends so I can position my business correctly to ensure growth and sustainability. By Thys Buitendag CA (SA).
The other day I read a very interesting article on “mental strength” and decided that this month I want to divert away from the technical stuff and share these fascinating points with you.
It is not an easy ride being your own boss. Entrepreneurs have to face many challenges that test a wide variety of our skill and experience. If I have to highlight two aspects as number one and two on the list of things an entrepreneur must concern himself or herself with it would be your physical health and mental strength.
Amy Morin, a psychotherapist and licensed clinical social worker, shared in LifeHack (November 2013), 13 things mentally strong people don’t do. Here is an abbreviated extract:
1. They Don’t Waste Time Feeling Sorry for Themselves. Mentally strong people don’t sit around feeling sorry about their circumstances; they take responsibility for their role in life and understand that life isn’t always easy or fair.
2. They Don’t Give Away Their Power. They don’t allow others to control them, and they don’t give someone else power over them.
3. They Don’t Shy Away from Change. Mentally strong people don’t try to avoid change. Instead, they welcome positive change and are willing to be flexible.
4. They Don’t Waste Energy on Things They Can’t Control. You won’t hear a mentally strong person complaining things they can’t control. They recognize that sometimes, the only thing they can control is their attitude.
5. They Don’t Worry About Pleasing Everyone. Mentally strong people don’t need to please everyone all the time. They strive to be kind and fair, but can handle other people being upset if they didn’t make them happy.
6. They Don’t Fear Taking Calculated Risks. They don’t take reckless or foolish risks, but don’t mind taking calculated risks. Mentally strong people spend time weighing the risks and benefits before making a big decision.
7. They Don’t Dwell on the Past. Mentally strong people don’t waste time dwelling on the past and wishing things could be different. Instead, they live for the present and plan for the future.
8. They Don’t Make the Same Mistakes Over and Over. Mentally strong people accept responsibility for their behaviour and learn from their past mistakes.
9. They Don’t Resent Other People’s Success. Mentally strong people can appreciate and celebrate other people’s success in life. They don’t grow jealous or feel cheated when others surpass them.
10. They Don’t Give Up After the First Failure. Mentally strong people don’t view failure as a reason to give up. Instead, they use failure as an opportunity to grow and improve.
11. They Don’t Fear Alone Time. Mentally strong people can tolerate being alone and they don’t fear silence.
12. They Don’t Feel the World Owes Them Anything. Mentally strong people don’t feel entitled to things in life. They weren’t born with a mentality that others would take care of them or that the world must give them something. Instead, they look for opportunities based on their own merits.
13. They Don’t Expect Immediate Results. Whether they are working on improving their health or getting a new business off the ground, mentally strong people don’t expect immediate results. Instead, they apply their skills and time to the best of their ability and understand that real change takes time.
So there you have it − avoid these 13 pitfalls and you’re bound to succeed!
About the Author: Thys Buitendag is the principle value contributor at SYNC Accounting & Business Services. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant after studies at the University of the Free State. He has over 25 years of experience ranging from being an auditor for a few years to being part of the senior management of large corporations and operating his own business, mostly in the manufacturing (feed, FMCG, agriculture related) and IT industries, driving efficiencies in production, logistics, treasury, administration, finance and sales.
For advice or assistance telephone +27 (0)11 475 8422 or for more information visit: www.synbs.co.za. You can also send an mail to email@example.com.