Memories you can afford
As tourism statistics show, both local and international tourists aren’t staying at home but rather going back to basics and demanding value for their money plus memorable experiences that couple “fun” with good service.
Gooderson Leisure, one of South Africa’s oldest and most established hospitality brands, is perfectly positioned to cater to these expectations and deal with other inevitable symptoms of a global financial crisis – booking scams and gimmicks. After over 55 years in the sector, it has both the track record and the credibility to reassure guests that they are investing in a holiday experience that will deliver both financially and experientially.
Decision makers within the company have the know-how to spot the trends and refresh the group’s offerings to meet realistic guest expectations rather than cater to passing fads. For example, guests at outdoor destinations such as the Drakensberg are on the lookout for biking trails while stressed out city slickers welcome spa treatments to unwind. Not all international tourists want a five star experience and enjoy self catering options while businesses are on the lookout for quality conferencing facilities that fi t tight budgets but provide the right environment.
The Gooderson Leisure portfolio is about variety and takes guests from the coast to the majestic mountains, introducing them to game parks, Zulu culture and the historic battlefields. The Gooderson Leisure brand’s positioning – GOOD VALUE, GOOD FUN – encapsulates what chairman and hospitality guru, Alan Gooderson, describes as providing a “fantastic customer experience” that is in line with key aspects of the company’s mission statement – to add value and customer satisfaction through a consistent approach to service as well as operational excellence. Through these two aspects as well as all-important affordability, Gooderson Leisure has set out to become one of South Africa’s hotel groups of choice.
The Altx listed Gooderson Leisure Group retains the flexibility and hands-on approach that is essential in South Africa’s ever changing and seasonal hospitality environment. It focused on KwaZulu-Natal for a number of years before taking its tried and tested formula to the rest of the country with the acquisition of properties stretching from Mpumalanga to Limpopo and Gauteng. Growing their national footprint remains a priority.
“KwaZulu-Natal, which remains South Africa’s core domestic tourism destination and accounts for the majority of Gooderson Leisure’s portfolio, is the best place to start.
We believe that because Gooderson Leisure owns and manages a variety of leisure destinations within KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga and Gauteng, we are perfectly positioned to refine our hospitality offering to meet the needs of travelers around the country,” explains Gail McCann Westphal, General Manager, Sales and Marketing.
The Gooderson Leisure properties that are continually evolving and upgrading along with the overall brand include:
- Tropicana Hotel (3-star): This 168-bedroomed hotel is situated on Durban’s Beachfront, is the is the perfect year-round destination where you can experience the city of Durban with panoramic views and access to the city’s major attractions. Proximity to Durban’s International Convention Centre and Moses Mabhida, as well as their own diverse conference facilities, make this a good choice for guests attending conferences and events in the city. The hotel also boasts some of the largest bedrooms on the beachfront.
- Drakensberg Gardens Golf & Spa Resort (3-star): With its spectacular scenery, crisp mountain air and location within a 860 acre World Heritage site, the Drakensberg Gardens is not only a good family holiday destination but also an ideal location for weddings, conferences and golfing events. Accommodation is spacious and comfortable with standard, superior and deluxe rooms as well as four, five and six sleeper fully equipped self-catering units. Popular activities such as hiking, horse riding, canoeing and trout fishing are on offer and guests can also enjoy a round on the Southern Drakensberg’s only 18-hole golf course. Due to the growth of mountain biking, Drakensberg Gardens has developed and custom built a 12km track as well as a BMX track at the resort. Gooderson Leisure is also developing winter sport facilities and has a team building and adventure facility. Additional new attractions include a heated pool (from May 2013), a wedding gazebo and new conference facilities.
- Bushlands Game Lodge (3-star): This safari retreat is centrally situated in Zululand close to Hluhluwe. Fully air-conditioned, en-suite accommodation blends with the African Bush. Wooden walkways lead to the main dining room, bar, swimming pool and boma. The popularity of this lodge has seen Gooderson Leisure include selfcatering rooms for its expanding domestic market.
- DumaZulu Cultural Village & Lodge; (3-star): With a name that translates as “Thundering Zulu”, this 23 bedroom lodge is located south of Hluhluwe, providing day visitors and overnight guests with an authentic African cultural experience. Self-standing units, which are designed to portray each of the different tribes of Africa, including Zulu, Swazi, North Sotho, Xhosa, Venda, Tsonga and Ndebele have been refurbished. A new conference facility and a wedding venue have been introduced as well as a water feature at reception with baby crocs to welcome guests on arrival. The traditional village allows visitors the opportunity to experience authentic Zulu culture and is the only lodge that has been given the blessing of King Goodwill Zwelitini. Their traditional cultural lunch is a must have as well a visit to the reptile park.
- Natal Spa Hot Springs & Leisure Resort (3-star): Located along the Battlefields route near Paulpietersberg, this resort is known for its hot mineral waters which have been said to have healing properties. The pools are complemented by the on-site Wellness Centre with a fully equipped gym, sauna, hydro-jet pools, jacuzzis, steam baths and beauty therapists. Due to its popularity for conferences, weddings and private functions, facilities are currently being further developed. On the entertainment side, a 25km mountain bike trail and BMX obstacle course as well as an animal farm is being added. A fantastic breakaway destination for the whole family as well as an ideal group stopover for tours.
- Fabz Garden Hotel & Conference Centre (4 star): Set amidst striking country surrounds in the heart of Lonehill, Fourways, this is the perfect country setting in the city. With its newly built “state of the art” conference facilities and patio venue’s and gazebo’s it is ideal for your conferences and wedding celebrations. Since adding this boutique hotel to its portfolio, Gooderson has upgraded amenities as well as added conference facilities that accommodate virtually any request – providing both indoor and outdoor facilities.
- Kloppenheim Country Estate Hotel (4 star): The ideal country retreat for business and leisure in the heart of the Highlands Meander, this resort comprises 14 twin lakeside suites, 20 twin estate rooms and 10 elegant 2 bed roomed self-contained lodges. The three conference rooms, a large theatre for events, private dining room, breakfast terrace, colonial style lounge, library, pub, restaurant and wellness centre do not leave you wanting for anything as the Hotel can tailor make packages for all guest requirements. With onsite game and fantastic views Kloppenheim offers domestic guests a relaxing trout fishing haven.
- SanRock Resort & Conference Centre (3 star): Situated 5km outside Modimolle (Nylstroom), SanRock is in the heart of the Waterberg Region and at epicentre of one of Southern Africa’s most celebrated Eco-tourism destinations. SanRock boasts numerous sized conference rooms to suit all your requirements and is especially ideal venue for large family weddings or other celebrations. It also offers a variety of accommodation options, including bed and breakfast as well as self-catering chalets.
- Monks Cowl: Conveniently situated in the Central Drakensberg, Monks Cowl is the ideal getaway for nature lovers, photographers, active families that enjoy outdoor activities and avid golfers. Accommodation is available on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis and the upgraded 9-hole country golf course provides an idyllic setting for a round of golf or leisurely walk. Plans are already in place to upgrade the property, golf course (to an 18 tee) and conference venue as well as add new rooms. The first phase will be completed by November 2013 and 2014 will see phase two of the renovations completed.
Gooderson Leisure looks forward to the opportunity of welcoming you or your clients to our properties to experience Good Value and Good Fun.
For more information contact:
Gail McCann Westphal
Tel: 031 337 4222