Most tourism service suppliers want to support locally produced goods and products that ascribe to fair trade principles, but actually finding them is another matter. Until now, that is.
That’s because Fair Trade Tourism has partnered with the World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO – Africa and Middle East) to deliver ‘Source Fair Trade’ – a B2B (Business 2 Business) marketing campaign that aims to promote South African produced WFTO guaranteed goods to the South African tourism market.
As a global membership organization of fair traders, the WFTO represent over 400 businesses across 70 countries, all of whom follow the ’10 Principles of Fair Trade’ through its guarantee system verified through a peer review and independent audit system. The WFTO furthermore facilitates best practice exchanges, forge synergies in supply chains and speak out for Fair Trade ultimately working towards a sustainable and fair economy.
“We are excited to join forces on this campaign as naturally Fair Trade Tourism very much sees itself and its network as part of the larger global Fair Trade movement that aims to bring greater balance in terms of trade,” says Ms Ana Lemmer, Interim CEO of Fair Trade Tourism.
“Through the Fair Trade Tourism Standard, we advocate for the procurement of locally produced, ethically traded goods so it makes sense to support local South African business that are mission-led to put people and planet first”, Ms Lemmer further explained.
“We admire the impact Fair Trade Tourism has had on the southern African tourism industry and the effort of committed tourism businesses to champion more sustainable and fairer supply chains in an industry that is forecasted to grow exponentially in Africa in the next couple of decades” says Ms Musa Mpofu, the WFTO Project Officer, South Africa.
Locally produced WFTO guaranteed products include luxury handmade bath and body products using natural ingredients, organic rooibos and honeybush tea, ethically produced spices and sauces, ethically traded fashion apparel and accessories, unique handmade candles as well as Christmas crackers, which Ms Mpofu explains are ideal for end-of-year events. “In fact, all of these products are suited to the tourism industry in being offered as part of the hosting experience or to resell in curio shops etc. and we believe represent clear value add from a branding perspective”.
“It will be a six-month campaign launched in April to be concluded in October 2019 and will include a number of promotional activities,” said Ms Lemmer. “In particular a discount to all Fair Trade certified business opting to purchase WFTO guaranteed products will be offered for the duration of the campaign. We will also host a roadshow towards the middle of the year featuring training on proven ways to leverage sustainability efforts – like sustainable sourcing for instance; in adding value to the brand of your tourism business”.
WFTO guaranteed goods and products in South Africa:
- AFRICAN BUTTERFLY: Producers of hand-made butterfly hair clips
- Contact: Thea Gladwin / E-Mail: email@example.com / Tel. 011 326 0283
- GLENART: Producers of hand-made Christmas Crackers
- Contact: Candace Rasmussen / E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: 032 947 0313
- KAPULA: Producers of hand-made and hand-painted candles and ceramics
- Contact: Andre Appelgryn / E-Mail: email@example.com / Tel: 028 425 1969
- RAIN AFRICA: Producers of luxurious handmade bath and body crème products
- Contact: Juani Walters / E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: 028 514 2926
- TOPQUALITEA: Traders of organic rooibos, honeybush and expresso tea
- Contact: Frederika Jacobs / E-Mail: email@example.com / Tel: 021 554 0012
- TOWNSHIP PATTERNS: Producers of hand-made conference Bags, Handbags, Shopping Bags, Hats & Accessories made from repurposed materials
- Contact: Tamzin Warden / E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: 021 534 8558
- TURQLE TRADING: Exporters of South African ethical food brands: – Cape Treasures & Ukuva iAfrica
- Contact: Sarah / E-Mail: email@example.com / Tel: 021 556 3918
- USISI DESIGNS: Producers of hand-made fashion accessories and homeware products made from Scoobie wire and repurposed materials
- Contact: Gertrude Munuhweyi / E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: 033 345 578