The Tourism Tattler magazine publishes international travel & tourism related content under specific category sections. These categories include; Accolades (industry awards), Attractions (theme parks, museums, etc), Business & Finance, Conservation, Destinations (Continents & Countries), Education, Events, Environment, Hospitality, Investment, Legal, Lifestyle, Marketing, Niche Tourism, Risk & Insurance, Safety & Security, Sports, Technology, and Transport.
What is a Feature?
Feature stories are lead articles with a particular focus on pre-determined topics under specific categories within each monthly issue of the magazine (see the 2020 Features List below).
You are welcome to submit feature stories for consideration by emailing email@example.com.
Note: we do not pay writers for stories. We do, however, acknowledge the author by including a boiler-plate ‘About the Author’ section at the end of the article along with a backlink to the author’s website or, if submitted by a PR practitioner, a ‘For more information’ strap with a hyperlink to the clients’ website.
A feature story must be in-depth (±1500 words) and include at least one high-resolution image (or image library link). In terms of structure, the story must have a headline, an introduction, main body section, and a conclusion. Let’s break that down:
- Headline: Must be a short and simple line that grabs the reader’s attention and convinces them to read the piece.
- Introduction: Think of this as a preview to the rest of the feature article. It must ’introduce’ the ideas that the reader is about to explore and as a general rule, should be about 10% of the overall word count.
- Main Body: This is where all the details of who, what, why and how are revealed. It is the explanation and proof. Include all your facts, statistics, and quotes to support your argument.
- Conclusion: This is the final statement that brings together all your ideas and evidence. Conclusions need to be strong, concise and thought-provoking, inviting the reader’s opinion.
2020 Magazine Features List
In support of the United Nations’ 75th Anniversary in 2020 and in partnership with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), all 2020 issues of the Tourism Tattler magazine will feature at least one of the seventeen goals.
Issue 1 – January 2020
- Category: Sustainable Tourism – Focus: The UN Sustainable Development Agenda
- Category: Events – Focus: Global Family Day (01 Jan)
- Category: Marketing – Focus: 2020 Trends
- Category: Hospitality – Focus: Food & Drink
- Submission Deadline: Wed 18 December 2019.
Issue 2 – February 2020
- Category: Urban Tourism – Focus: Sustainable Cities and Communities (SDG 11)
- Category: Events – Focus: World Wetlands Day (02 Feb)
- Submission Deadline: Wed 15 January 2020.
Issue 3 – March 2020
- Category: Gender Equality – Focus: Women in Tourism (SDG 05)
- Category: Events – Focus: International Women’s Day (08 Mar) & World Wildlife Day (03 Mar)
- Category: Conservation –
- Submission Deadline: Wed 19 February 2020.
Issue 4 – April 2020
- Category: Niche Tourism – Focus: Good Health & Wellbeing (SDG 05)
- Category: Events – Focus: World Health Day (07 Apr) & Earth Day 50th Anniversary (22 Apr)
- Submission Deadline: Wed 18 March 2020.
Issue 5 – May 2020
- Category: Environment – Focus: Life On Land (SDG 15)
- Category: Events – Focus: World Turtle Day (23 May)
- Submission Deadline: Wed 22 April 2020.
Issue 6 – June 2020
- Category: Environment – Focus: Life Below Water (SDG 14)
- Category: Events – Focus: World Oceans Day (08 Jun)
- Submission Deadline: Wed 20 May 2020.
Issue 7 – July 2020
- Category: Technology – Focus: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure (SDG 09)
- Category: Events – Focus: World Youth Skills Day (15 Jul)
- Category: Niche Tourism – Focus: Youth Tourism
- Submission Deadline: Wed 17 June 2020.
Issue 8 – August 2020
- Category: Business & Finance – Focus: Reduced Inequalities (SDG 10)
- Category: Events – Focus: World Lion Day (01 Aug) & World Elephant Day (12 Aug)
- Submission Deadline: Wed 22 July 2020.
Issue 9 – September 2020
- Category: Sustainable Tourism – Focus: Special focus on #UN75 (All SDGs)
- Category: Events – Focus: World Cleanup Day (20 Sep) & World Rhino Day (22 Sep) &
- Submission Deadline: Wed 19 August 2020.
Issue 10 – October 2020
- Category: Business & Finance – Focus: Partnerships for the SDGs
- Category: Events – Focus: World Habitat Day (05 Oct) & World Animal Day (04 Oct)
- Submission Deadline: Wed 23 September 2020.
Issue 11 – November 2020
- Category: Environment – Focus: Climate Action (SDG 13)
- Category: Events – Focus: World Vegan Day (01 Nov)
- Category: Accolades – Focus: The Lilizela Tourism Awards (South Africa)
- Submission Deadline: Wed 21 October 2020.
Issue 12 – December 2020
- Category: Legal – Focus: Peace, Justice & Strong Institutions (SDG 16)
- Category: Events – Focus: Human Rights Day (10 Dec)
- Submission Deadline: Wed 18 November 2020.