Bulungula is a collection of huts overlooking a remote beach on the Wild Coast, in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa. Jointly owned by the local Xhosa community, it warns potential guests it is “not an old-style, white South African beach resort”. It also promises night skies so clear, it guarantees “your money back if you don’t see a shooting star for half an hour at night”.
Other Africa based hotels that made it on the Top-10 list are (click on the bold text to visit their website):
- Planet Boabab, Gweta, Botswana – (Most Extraordinary Hotel)
- Thonga Beach Lodge, iSimangaliso Wetland Park, South Africa – (Most Extraordinary Hotel)
- The Backpack, Cape Town, South Africa – (Best Value Hotel)
- Inkosana Lodge, Champagne Valley, Drakensberg, South Africa – (Best Value Hotel)
- Chole Mjini, Chole Island, Mafia Archipelago, Tanzania – (Outstanding Eco-Hotels)
- Maison Anglaise, Taroudant, Morocco – (Outstanding Eco-Hotels).