Motswari Private Game Lodge, host to Africa’s Big Five, has achieved Gold Class status on the Heritage Environmental Certification Programme. Having joined the reputable class of Newmark Hotels, Reserves & Lodges in March 2013, this rating is an exceptional accomplishment for this impressive establishment.
The Heritage Environmental Management Company is an environmental certification company specialising in the independent recognition, review and certification of environmental best practise across the service sector; and whose standards are based on internationally recognised sustainability and responsible business initiatives. The criteria for being awarded Gold status are defined by the contribution toward environmental conservation, greening programmes, food safety, hygiene, and energy efficiency.
Lifting Motswari up to Gold from its previous Silver status where they started two years ago is a significant step for the business, positioning the Lodge as the only environmentally certified property within the Timbavati nature reserve. In fact, the scoring of 90 out of 100 meant they were only 2 points away from achieving platinum status.
Ironically, the name ‘Motswari’ means to keep and conserve, and so Management and staff are highly committed to sustainable principles evident throughout the operation:
- Communication of green issues including environmental days where staff, as well as guests, are included as part of the awareness campaigns.
- Efficient energy and water saving measures to reduce the burden the business has on environmental resources.
- Procurement is based upon what is locally available and cost-effectively distributed to the property.
- Waste management is largely effective and implemented throughout the operation.
- Whilst nature related issues are first and foremost of the businesses activities.
Says owner Marion Geiger Orengo, “On behalf of Motswari’s management and staff, we are truly honoured to receive this prestigious award indicating our on-going commitment to making Motswari a truly sustainable tourism product. Motswari has been involved in conservation for the last 30 years and these three decades have been dedicated to environmental and green matters. We are elated that this has now become a global focus and that green initiatives are being recognised.”
“Overall, the planning element has been well thought out and efforts in this regard are noteworthy’, concludes Neil Markovitz, Managing Director of Newmark Hotels, Reserves & Lodges.