Pearl Oliver, lauded Head Sommelier at five-star luxury hotel Taj Cape Town in the heart of the Mother City, is well recognised for driving a passion for wine in the hospitality industry.
The alluring Taj Cape Town inner city hotel, which recently hosted the 2016 South African Wine Tasting Championships (SAWTC), is proud to count Pearl among its talents, entrusting her with the role of encouraging guests and visitors – novices and experts alike – to put their palates to the ultimate sensory throughout Taj Cape Town’s extensive venues and food and beverage offerings.
Taj Cape Town celebrates a stellar achievement as the only five star luxury hotel to receive the 2016 Lilizela Tourism Award for ‘Best in South Africa: Accommodation and Service Excellence’.
The prestigious Lilizela Awards highlight excellence, creativity and innovation in the South African travel industry and acknowledge the highest standard of service offerings in the country.
This year the Lilizela Awards attracted a record number of # 1122 entries, up 18% from 2015. Members of the public were invited to vote on the Lilizela Tourism Awards website. These votes together with those from various platforms such as TripAdvisor and Tourism Grading Council South Africa’s [TGSA] Tourism Analytics Programme, formed 80% of the score for each entry. A panel of high-level judges for each category, drawn from the industry and academia, contributed the remaining 20% of each establishment’s score.
South African Minister of Tourism Derek Hanekom said at the award ceremony held on Sunday 16 October 2016 that it is the distinction of service that drives tourism demand and allows South Africa to shine on the global stage. Awards go to tourism players and businesses who work passionately and with pride, deliver a world class product and service, whose delivery grows South Africa’s global destination competitiveness.
Cape Town’s city centre was recently recognised as the most visited international tourist spot in South Africa according to South African Tourism’s 2015 Annual Report, making Taj Cape Town the perfect location from which to explore the Mother City’s history and culture.
“We are extremely proud of this accomplishment,” says Sanjay Sood, General Manager of Taj Cape Town, “our reputation for offering international and local visitors an authentic experience coupled with warm and dedicated service, stems from our team of exceptional staff and passion for excellence.”
“Taj Cape Town not only offers the ultimate in luxury accommodations and facilities, which is a testament of this amazing award, but our unique location in the city centre makes us ‘one-of-a-kind’. Being within walking distance to most tourist attractions such as museums, monuments, shopping, nightlife and much more, Cape Town has also been voted the Conde Nast Traveller’s Reader Choice Award as The Best Food City in the World, and Bree Street with its authentic restaurants and trendy bars is a mere 5 minute walk from the hotel” concludes Willie Williams, Director of Sales & Marketing at Taj Cape Town.