Africa is the vast continent; an often hot and dusty world, strung together by a maze of seemingly endless tar, gravel and sand roads, tracks and paths. Although southern Africa generally has good road infrastructure, the distances that need to be covered to reach various attractions can become tiresome.
Fly-In Safaris allow the time-restricted traveller and lovers of the vast blue African sky to cut out long, dusty days on the road and combine various destinations in southern Africa by charter-aircraft. Countless small airfields allow small aeroplanes to access remote destinations with ease. Various southern African countries can be incorporated into one Fly-In Safari, even on a short trip. The sky is literally the limit.
ONDESE SAFARIS, founded by Friedrich Nauhaus in 1993 and joined by Mendes Vinte in 2018, is a Safari Operator, offer the best fly-in safaris that money can buy. In the native Otjiherero language, ONDESE means Honey Badger (Mellivora capensis) and is also known in Africa as the ratel. Depicted on their logo, this rarely encountered mammal is found throughout southern Africa and is famous for its courage and sense of smell.
Besides Otjiherero and many other African languages, the languages spoken in Botswana, Zambia, and Namibia are English, Afrikaans, and German. Obviously the first word you’ll learn when visiting these destinations is saying hello. In Afrikaans, it’s a plain Hallo (huh-low). The Germans say Guten Tag (gut-ten taahg) and in Rukwangali its Morokeni, which means good morning.
So, now that you know how to greet in the local languages, here are a few fly-in safari package tours that you can book, and thereby learn a few more words to add to your Africa safari memories:
Fly-In Safari Tour Packages
- Marsh Owl Fly-In Safari: 12 Days (Botswana: Makgadikgadi Pans, Moremi Wildlife Reserve, Selinda, Chobe National Park & Okavango Swamps). This Fly-In Safari starts in Botswana from Maun to the white, open Makgadikgadi pans, to the lush Moremi Wildlife Reserve, to the wild Selinda reserve, to famous Chobe National Park abounding with game, to the unique wetlands of the Okavango Swamps and back to Maun.
- Spotted Eagle Owl Fly-In Safari: 12 Days (Botswana: middle Kalahari, Moremi, Swamps & Chobe). This tour highlights the best of Botswana: from Maun to the middle Kalahari into the north-eastern part of the untouched Central Kalahari Game Reserve, to the lush Moremi Wildlife Reserve, into the heart of the unique wetlands of the Okavango Delta, to the magical Savute area in the southern part of the Chobe National Park, to the diverse wildlife of the northern part of the Chobe National Park on the banks of the Chobe River and back to Maun.
- African Hawk-Eagle Fly-In Safari: 13 Days (Botswana: middle Kalahari, Nxai Pan, Okavango Delta, Kwando & Zambia: Victoria Falls. This tour covers both Botswana and Zambia; from Maun to the middle Kalahari into the north-western part of the unique Central Kalahari Game Reserve, to the arid Nxai Pan National Park with huge baobab trees, to the south-western part of the lush wetlands of the famous Okavango Swamps, to the diverse wildlife of the Linyanti-Kwando conservancy and from there to the mighty Victoria Falls close to Livingstone in Zambia.
- White-faced Scops-Owl Fly-In Safari: 12 Days (Botswana: middle Kalahari, Moremi, Selinda, Savuti & Swamps). Another, albeit slightly different Botswana Fly-In Safari takes off from Maun to the middle Kalahari into the north-western part of the unique Central Kalahari Game Reserve, to the wooded and lush Moremi Wildlife Reserve, to the big game country along the Selinda spillway, to the magical Savute area in the Chobe National Park, to the wetlands of the Okavango Swamps and back to Maun.
- Prices for the above tours are available on the linked pages.