Available to hospitality and tourism operators
The Industrial Development Corporation (IDC), Trade & Investment KZN (TIKZN), KwaZulu-Natal Tourism, Ilembe Enterprise and the Inqaba Trust invite hotel management companies and hotel operators with beach resort experience to participate in the pre-implementation process of the Nonoti Hotel Project.
An operator and professional team will be appointed to finalise the resort design and costings, pending completion of the Environmental Impact Assessment. This participation will be converted to a management and marketing agreement of the beach resort should the project progress into the implementation phase. There is also an additional option for the potential hotel operator to consider an equity investment in the project.
The Nonoti Hotel Project, a first-of-its-kind beach resort development on the KwaZulu-Natal North Coast, will primarily target the domestic market. The identified project site comprises about 250 hectares of land with beach frontage. The proposed project will include 200 hotel rooms, 100 self-catering rooms, conferencing facilities and restaurants.
The successful company should be able to document its past performance and provide references regarding its operations currently under contract. Subject to specific criteria, the successful operator will be involved for the next three to four years before the hotel is operational. However, the hotel operator will only be eligible to receive management fees at the operational phase of the project.
Qualifying criteria are as follows:
- Proven experience in operating and managing beach resorts;
- At least five years’ experience in operating and managing beach resorts;
- Operating and managing beach resorts of a minimum size of 290 rooms;
- Operating and managing beach resorts that are multi-graded;
- Operating and managing beach resorts targeted at the mid-market;
The following will be taken into consideration during the selection process:
- Years in operation;
- Representation in more than one continent;
- BEE rating (if South African company or operating in South Africa); if new to the South African market, consideration will be given to the company’s proposed plans to meet the minimum BBEEE criteria;
- Reputation for sound beach resort management;
- Reputation for implementing environmental and responsible tourism practices;
- Having existing target markets that fit well with those proposed for the Nonoti Hotel Project;
- Operations within the three- and four-star or mid-market;
- A willingness to work with, support and impart skills to local community members.
For more information contact Tebatso Lewele at [email protected]
Issued by the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC)
Telephone: +27 86 069 3888
Email: [email protected]
To apply online for funding of R1 million or more go to www.idc.co.za