To keep parents from going completely off their rocker, here are some great ideas on what to do with your kids on the West Coast this holiday.
Free and Easy:
Weather-permitting, this is first prize – it’s free, it’s physical, and the kids come back happy, hungry and tired! Bliss.
- Sheltered Jungle Gym at Eden on the Bay – This enclosed jungle gym is ideal for when the kids need to spend energy and its windy and wet outside. Kids under five eat for free, and the Vida e Café cappuccino will make everything feel all better again.
- Bloubergstrand Beach and Tidal Rock pools – A great way to spend time together looking for shells and pretty pebbles. Bring wellies, buckets and spades.
- Small Bay – ‘Mommy’s beach’ as it’s affectionately known offers a grassed area with a sprawling jungle gym, great for picnics and play, with the beach nearby and the sea tickling your toes.
- Blouberstrand Promenade – Stroll or cycle the promenade, buy a hot pancake on chilly days, or enjoy an ice cream on those days where winter is forgotten.
- Cycle or hike at Koeberg Nature Reserve – This free nature reserve has some lovely game, from springboks to eland. With kiddie-friendly routes you can choose anything from an hour to a day outing.
Other Fun Outdoor Activities:
- My Citi bus – take the family on an adventure ride to the City and surrounds. Kids love the idea of going somewhere on a big blue bus. The My Citi bus is a great way to do this. From R10 per person one way.
- West Coast Farm Stall / Lion Park at Yzerfontein – take your kids to see the white lions, Siberian tigers, jaguars and eat the best scones on the West Coast. Need we say more?
But Baby it’s Cold Outside…
When it’s wet and wintery and cabin fever is driving you nuts, here are some great options for you.
- Mommy mornings at Izabella’s – This cosy restaurant at Eden on the Bay in Big Bay hosts mommy mornings every Tuesday morning from 9am – 11am. With kiddies’ tables and chairs and activities to keep tots busy, mommies can enjoy a cuppa while chatting to friends and family or reading a magazine.
- Dragonland – A stunning new indoor play centre with a modest coffee shop. Safe, clean and spacious. Woolies and China Town are close by so you can do shopping while the kids play.
- Tots n Pots – For hands-on cooking workshops for moms, dads and toddlers. Based in Table View you can enjoy quality time together with your little ones, and someone else does the tidying up! Book with [email protected].
- Creative Kids Corner at Eden on the Bay – Fun and creative crafts and activities on offer during the school holidays with a full-time minder from 11am – 2pm. Book with [email protected]. You can shop and relax while the kids are inspired. Plus, kids under five eat for free at Snoekies. Definitely a win/win situation!
We hope that helps you with the ‘I’m bored’ scenario. Now if only we had a solution to ‘Are we there yet?’!
To Connect with Eden on the Bay go to: