NEW YORK, NY, 12 December 2019 – South Africa has been ranked as the top exotic destination for USA tourists to visit in Winter 2019/2020. This is according to Tourlane, an online travel expert for tailor-made dream vacations, whose index has revealed eight exotic destinations that are cheaper to visit than a week of skiing in the USA.
The index, which includes three countries in Africa, three in South America, and two in Oceania, exposes how expensive domestic ski vacations are for US tourists in comparison to dream trips of a lifetime to the other side of the world.
South Africa takes first place and is the most affordable destination for an exotic getaway this winter. The top eight exotic destinations for a getaway in Winter 2019-2020 are:
- South Africa costs $1,618 per person
- Argentina costs $2,141 per person
- Chile costs $2,376 per person
- New Zealand costs $2,425 per person
- Ecuador costs $2,614 per person
- Australia costs $2,779 per person
- Kenya costs $3,176 per person
- Tanzania costs $3,736 per person.
In comparison, a week of skiing in Deer Valley costs $3,936 per person and $4,185 per person in Beaver Creek, Colorado.
“Places like South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia are frequently thought of as once-in-a-lifetime destinations,” said Tourlane’s Director of Marketing, Jillian Randolph. “We are excited to reveal that they are actually cheaper than visiting Colorado for a week of skiing, giving travellers an exotic alternative to an expensive week on the slopes this season.”
Additional takeaways from the research:
- Africa and South America are the best-represented continents in this year’s ranking, with three countries each in the top eight.
- South America dominates the affordable end of the ranking, with three of the top five countries located there.
- A week in Beaver Creek, Colorado is 259% more expensive than a week in South Africa, 195% more expensive than a week in Argentina, and 176% more expensive than a week in Chile.
Methodology: In order to rank the exotic destinations based on price, the following price factors were researched for a seven-day period, using Tourlane’s own data: All transfers, activities, and accommodation. To understand how these prices compare to a week on the ski-slopes, the price of ski rental, a lift ticket, lunch, and accommodation for a seven-day period was also researched. Winter 2019-2020 runs from December 21st, 2019 through March 20th, 2020.
About Tourlane: Founded in Berlin in 2016, Tourlane is an online travel company that combines proprietary technology with the expertise of experienced travel specialists to make the planning and booking of multi-day trips seamless and personal for travellers. Tourlane customers can choose between fully personalized itineraries or ready-made packaged options that have been curated and qualified by Tourlane experts to over 60 destinations worldwide. For more information visit www.tourlane.com.